Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Take-out & Take-aways

It has been 20 years for me now. 20 years in public education. I can't believe it! Seems like just yesterday when, as a nervous 22 year old, I walked through the doors of Holly Hill Elementary to inquire about my first teaching job.

Weird things have happened along the way, such as critical school levies, bus strikes, new standards and programs, large class sizes, cutbacks and changes in administration, to name a few. Every so often, however, and in the most unexpected ways, I'm reminded of what matters most: the child.

Tonight I visited my local Mexican restaurant to pick up some chips & salsa. While waiting I noticed a small sign behind the counter. It read:

"What is a customer?

A customer is the most important person to pass through these doors.

Not an interruption to our work, but the purpose of it.

Without the customer, there is not a purpose for us."


Let's change "customer" to "child" and do a rethink.


"What is a child?

A child is the most important person to pass through these doors.

Not an interruption to our work, but the purpose of it.

Without the child, there is not a purpose for us."


So...tonight I got some tasty take-out, along with a delicious take-away.

No comments:

Post a Comment