Friday, January 22, 2010

A Week Full of Firsts




When my now teenaged daughters were in preschool, they had a particular videotape that they viewed over and over and over again. I mean like ten times a day. No kidding. It almost drove me crazy! The video was called "Baby's Firsts", and along with a catchy little tune, it featured babies experiencing the world for the first time: baby's first toy, baby's first tooth, baby's first steps, etc.

After all these years, I'm thinking about that annoying video once again. This week I've experienced a whole string of firsts myself. It was my first week as principal! Bear with me as I list my brand new encounters from Week One. Catchy tune not included.

  • Tanny's first morning announcements
  • Tanny's first fire drill
  • Tanny's first bus discipline
  • Tanny's first thank you note from a 2nd grader
  • Tanny's first use of a walkie-talkie
  • Tanny's first office referral
  • Tanny's first lunch duty (since 2001)
  • Tanny's first walk-through with the Board president
  • Tanny's first week as principal, filled with satisfaction
A "text cousin" to this blog post is Marla Frazee's beautiful picture book, Walk On! A Guide for Babies of All Ages (Harcourt, 2006). This is a perfect book for anyone, learning anything, at any age.

Check out Frazee's book here!
Tanny

No comments:

Post a Comment